Sunday, April 28, 2013

Insignia: The story of its formation!

     Well, now that I have nothing better to do right now, I will like to tell you the story of rock. Rock as in rock music. Okay. So I had this distant dream of playing an instrument (rather, Guitar) since childhood. As luck would have it, I don't remember seeing a guitar live till I arrived in college. I come from a backward place. Lame excuse. Anyways, I bought a guitar and started to take lessons. Days went by and I saw a mercurial rise in the creation and domination of bands in my college. Well, the effect was colossal if you ask me. That was what I wanted. To be on the stage. To listen people cheer. To be crazy. To play in a band. For Music. Now there were blokes in my age who came up with bands and faltered. Rather un-deserving-ly so. I thought they could play well.  

    Anyways, new bands started emerging. Even the ones who could hardly hold guitars started showing off. And I was like, well, no comments. Two years flew by. While playing in a band was still a distant dream. My idea of a rock band was: a vocalist, a rhythm guitarist, a bassist/keyboardist, a lead guitarist and a drummer. I searched for others who could fill up the other 4 positions, since I was one of the guitarists.

     Enter a dumb guy. Lets say *****. He believed (I am sure he still does) that he is a very good vocalist, who cannot sing classical songs. Now he wanted to form a band, rather create a band. He would sing all songs and I had to play Lead. For rhythm he had appointed a junior guy called Deff. Now Deff and I developed good bonding over songs. (Which was good). Also, there was this guy Lord who could sing classical songs and has gone to some National level competition and was almost the winner. He was hired for backing vocals. There was a rapper too. No bassist. No drummer. As of then.

          After two days of jamming, I and Deff were comfortable. ***** couldn't be. Meanwhile I came across videos of ***** at several occasions, and people going nuts at him. When I asked a few of my friends about his singing, they told : Are you that desperate? They were not wrong. He sucked at singing. Point No 1.

       Moreover, he was bossy. He imposed his choice of songs. Made a track list and all that "My band-My band" stuff was in the air for him. Point No 2.

     I logged in to Facebook. And received a request to like a page featuring me, Deff, Lord and him on the cover image. I was like What the Hell! The band was already named without any discussions. ***** said he had hired a band manager and we would have to perform for him in lieu of money. Point No 3, 4, 5.

     Well 5 points is too much for me. For anyone, rather. Its that I had the courage. I called ***** and said: You suck at everything. I am not going to play for you. He warned me to reconsider my decision. And that life would be difficult for me. Bloody hell, music is for love. For entertainment. Not for revenge, hatred. I just quit.
The cover pic was edited and I was removed from it. (Sob.Sob)

     I told Deff: Bro, if you want to play for him then go ahead. But if you want you can play with me. Deff doesn't want to mess with seniors. Not that he is afraid, but that he doesn't like to. I don't know how he gathered some courage. After two hours Deff wasn't on the cover image. (YAY!!)

     Now, drummers are people who will be extinct in some days. There are more tigers than drummers these days. In such a situation getting a drummer was like Gold Medal for Indian Hockey. I heard there is a guy Cool, who is taking drum lessons. So I approached him. Today, he is the best drummer in the college. I can bet.

     Deff taught Cliff to play the bass and he picked up real fast. Lord, who was tentative of leaving ***** ultimately kicked himself out and joined us on vocals. And the cover pic was that of the self proclaimed King Of Voice alone as Lord joined us!

     And then Insignia rose out of ashes. Deff on rhythm, Lord on Vocals, Cool on drums, Cliff on bass and Me, well showing off! 

The next thing I remember is our first performance: massive crowd, songs and "once more cheer".

Insignia Rocks.

3 comments:

  1. same to same!!!!
    this all happened in front of me.. ;)

    btw.. fantabulous expression of words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i feel proud to be the part of INSIGNIA n i wl be tis part always.

      Delete
  2. now i can boast confidently that aakash is my frnd, who is pitch perfect in almost everything.......feeling very proud to be frnd like u........keep rocking aakash...n touch the pinnacle of success.....n for those who are feeling jealous of his music shud remind his words "music is for love. For entertainment. Not for revenge, hatred"....mind it!!!

    ReplyDelete