Saturday, December 25, 2010

Are you a fresher?

I hated the Nagin tune.

I stood with much fear in my heart at the bus stop back from the first day at college.Heartbeat 90.The bus seemed to tease me.It was late than usual.I looked around to spot any "Hunter".None of them were visible,moreover i didn't recognise many.Heartbeat 80.Suddenly a voice "Hey first year".I turned to look at a short,fat and wheatish-skinned lad.Looked like someone who had been recently beaten by his dad for drinking vodka.Heartbeat 120.

I looked at him."Sir?!!!" i said with half fear and half anticipation of what impending danger may land.

"Waiting for the bus".Heartbeat 125.

"Ya.." i said. I couldn't say i was there for staring at Bengali girls(!).Thank god,i could sight the bus now. I tried to ignore the senior.

The bus would wait for three full minutes.

"OK go..." he said in an unexpectedly humble tone.All seniors aren't hunters,i thought to myself.

I went towards the bus,the heartbeat at 95.

"Hey first year.."he shouted from behind.

"Third button you rascal." I obeyed his order instantly.Later i learned he was a "professor".That's what we are supposed to call third years.The 4th years are Principals,by the way.

"Get on the bus with the nagin dance."

I was like What the fish.

I looked at the people on the bus and on the stop.As if all of them expecting a Live (!) performance.They looked with lusty eyes.

I thought for a second.Yaar,kaun sa apna chacha dekh raha hai.bindass kar,I thought.

And then.I started the Nagin dance into the bus.Few laughed,Few squeaked,Few rethought on their decision to send their wards to engineering colleges.I didn't care.I danced and danced till the bus started.My first live dance performance.At least I provided free amusement to many.Later I also did cabaret,Pole dance in the basketball court,Sang "Bolo e kaun fashion dikhawa taru ho,dhake wala cheez jhalkawa taru ho",proposed to an unknown senior,did the 90 salute etc etc....

Friends,ragging period may be testing,But it is enjoyable,if taken with the right attitude and frame of mind.

I agree ragging activities have a negative impact,but that depends on the case as it might be.Ragging acts are not to be taken to your self respect.Take a chill pill.Be yourself.Anyways,How many of us are afraid of ragging?All of us are,to some or more extent.Face the fear.

Its perfectly okay to sing or dance in front of few seniors,You aren't auditioning for Indian idol or Dance India Dance.And in most of the cases few will ask you to propose someone;Do it,with passion,who knows you might have a chance.

I have seen guys do stranger things...Boys were instructed to proclaim that they were gays!!!They did that.Its not going to interfere with your future life anyways.You are just out of school,just enjoy the new environment.Come closer to your seniors,not in other ways!!!

If you take it easy,ragging period will be the best.Its perfectly all right to bend a little.

Girls seem to be even more nervous.Most of the times they are told to wear simple dress and oil their hair,tie two plaits,I do not find anything humiliating in this.Its okay.Formal dress for boys,short cropped hair,eyes on third button.Its okay.Enjoyable!!!

Ragging may be treated as a necessary evil.Excess of everything is bad.So is excess of ragging.Fun for one can't become "Mental rape" for other.When they are over the top complain to the necessary authorities.

Some tips:
1.Don't be afraid.The senior that you are facing isn't the ugliest.There are more to come.
2.Try to be ragged by girls,they have an eye on junior boys!!
3.The Profs are of no help.Don't try them.Moreover,they face ragging all their life.
4.Don't agree on sexual ragging,also don't get addicted to drugs or other such things.
5.Buy a pair of formal clothes.It will help.
6.Help a gal in during these times.
7.Be confident,you can do a bit of ragging with seniors too.
8.Girls,don't shed tears now,save some for your marriage.
9.Learn the basics of bunking,and find ways to go to the nearest theatre,park,restaurant...
10.Propose your crush,if they say no,say "Senior ,you see."If they say yes, follow tip 9.

So enjoy the beginning of the best possible days in your lives.

By the way,I love the nagin tune now.Maybe, I will make you all dance to it in my marriage.

7 comments:

  1. Superb.
    I was looking for some one,to talk postv on d topic....
    I say u an incdnt.
    A junior was out for breakfast.
    Senior: Did u Brush??
    Junior: Does a lion brush??
    S: Are u lion??
    J: yes.
    S: lions remain naked. From 2mro, in d morning, cum naked on d verendah... Nd say "HUM SHER HAIN, HUM SHER HAIN"
    The junior did dat cntnsly for a mnth on d long coridor...
    Now the junior is proud of his act, dont kno y, bt he is.....nd....he was famous in his colz....the most impt thng, he is very confident now..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate ur view over this debatable topic. No doubt, ragging is fun. even i had to go through this, although not much. but its not the same experience with all. Its healthy until it touches ur instinctive nerves and shakes up ur esteem....that is usully foung in many cases!!

    Great going...well written Boy :)

    Rashmi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very amusing article. I think your tips (1-10) should be converted into a fresher's guide book titled "guide to face Ragging for Dummies"

    Keep writing bro. Will impatiently wait for ur next article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like it...keep writting about it..ur tips should helps to the next freshers..

    ReplyDelete
  5. i admire ur writing.. thx to that ragging period which insisted u to writ...continue writing...but ek bat samajh nahi aaya. 125 heart beat main bhi tu zinda kaise bachaa...ha..ha..

    ReplyDelete
  6. heyyyy Akash
    seems u had a dancy ragging period !
    gud to know u liked ur ragging period (thanks to ur seniors ha ha ha.........)
    Waiting to see how u wud react to ur juniors.
    keep smiling !

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'll luv to dance on nagin tune
    bt seniors in my colg are all down
    bdw nice 1 aakash

    ReplyDelete